Sivarama Prasad Vinjamury
Sivarama Prasad Vinjamury
Phone: (562) 947-8755 x736
Ayurveda Department, Eastern Medicine Department
BiographyDr. Sivarama Prasad Vinjamury is a Professor of Acupuncture and Ayurveda at Southern California University of Health and Sciences. He graduated with a doctoral degree in ayurvedic medicine from University of Kerala, India and received his Master in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine from Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU). He also received a Master in Public Health degree from California State University, Fullerton. He is currently working as a professor of research at SCU’s College of Eastern Medicine and provides acupuncture and eastern medicine services at University Health Center, Whittier, and the Student Health and Counseling Center at California State University, Fullerton. Dr. Vinjamury has over twenty five years of clinical experience in integrating Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine, and western diagnostic methods to evaluate, assess, and manage patients. Additionally, he also advises in yoga, tai-chi and breathing practices to his clients. One of his strengths is providing detailed dietary advice based on eastern traditional medicine that is individualized to the patient’s condition. His main interest is in clinical research in complementary and integrative medicine. He has published many articles on these topics in peer-reviewed journals. In addition, he also presented papers on various subjects in several national and international conferences. He was awarded a Young Investigator Award for his work on Cancer Research in the year 2007 by the Society for Acupuncture Research (SAR). He has been a Principal Investigator of studies on Fibromyalgia, Hypertension, Insomnia, Cancer Pain and quality of life. Recently, he was awarded a mini-grant to investigate the effects of Chinese herbal medicine for Osteoporosis. Prasad also serves as a peer-reviewer for several integrative medicine journals and is on the Editorial Board on two of these journals.
- LAc.- Licensed Acupuncturist
- BLS - Basic Life Support (CPR for professional rescuers and healthcare providers)
Awards & Honors
- Outstanding contribution to the College of Easter Medicine (2017)
- Outstanding Service Award, SCU (2016)
- Outstanding Service Award, SCU (2015)
- Most Collegial Member, SCU (2015)
- Outstanding Clinical Teaching Award, SCU (2014)
- Outstanding Service Award , SCU (2012)
- Excellence in Research Award, SCU (2010)
- Outstanding Service Award, SCU (2010)
- Blood of the Turnip Award for Above and Beyond Call of Duty (2007, 2010)
- Outstanding Pre-clinical Teaching Award, SCU (2009)
- Excellence in Research Award, SCU (2008)
- President’s Associates Award, MPH, CSUF (2008)
- Best Thesis Award, MPH, CSUF (2008)
- Young Investigator Award, Society for Acupuncture Research (2007)
- Excellence in Research Award, SCU (2007)
- Sommers E, Vinjamury SP, Noborikawa J. Pain and Opioid Use: Evidence for Integrating Acupuncture Into Treatment Planning. Glob Adv Health Med. 2021 Aug 24;10:21649561211042571. doi: 10.1177/21649561211042571. PMID: 34458014; PMCID: PMC8392795.
- Vinjamury SP, Vinjamury M, Sucharitakul S, Ziegler I. Panchakarma: Ayurvedic Detoxification and Allied Therapies – Is there any evidence? In: Rastogi S, Chiappeli F, Ramchandani MH, Singh RH, eds. Evidence-Based Practice in Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Germany: Springer; 2012: 113-138.
- Vinjamury SP, Li J, Hsiao E, Huang C, Miller J, Huang Y. Effects of Acupuncture for Cancer Pain and Quality of Life – A Case Series. Chinese Medicine 2013, 8:15.
- Vinjamury SP, Vinjamury M, Der Martirosian C, Miller J. Shirodhara (ayurvedic oil dripping therapy) for Insomnia – A Case Series. Global Adv Health Med, 2014;3(1):75-80
- Wu W, Vinjamury SP, Hsiao L, Hsiao E, Miller J. The Development and Implementation of Multi-Step Comprehensive Exams at a College of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Meridians, The Journal of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, 2015: 2(1):14-20.
- Vinjamury SP. Book Review – Acupuncture as an Adjuvant in the Treatment of HIV/AIDS: Examining Disparities in Access, Cost-Effectiveness and Public Health Considerations By Elizabeth Sommers, PhD, MPH, LAc . LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing. Meridians, The Journal of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, 2015: 2(2):42-43.
- Vinjamury SP, Hoover D, Noborikowa J. Integrative Management of Alopecia areata with Acupuncture and Ayurveda: A Case Report. Meridians, The Journal of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, 2015:2(4):21-24
- Li P, Tjen-A-Looi SC, Cheng L, Liu D, Painovich J, Vinjamury S, Longhurst J. Long-Lasting Reduction of Blood Pressure by Electroacupuncture in Patients with Hypertension: Randomized Controlled Trial. Med Acupunct. 2015 Aug 1;27(4):253-266
- Vinjamury SP, Jones J, Hsiao L, Hurwitz E, Mouttapa M, Weiss J, Miller J. Efficacy of Acupuncture for Fibromyalgia – RCT. Manuscript In-progress
- Vinjamury SP – “Accessible Ayurveda- Dietary Principles for Balanced Health” – Oral Presentation made at the IM4US Annual Conference, September 2021, Virtual Meeting
- Vinjamury SP, Noborikawa J – “Impact of COVID-19 on Ayurveda Clinical Practice in the United States – AYUCOVID Survey”- Oral Presentation at the APHA Annual Meeting, Denver, November 2021
- Participated in October/November 2021 – Vinjamury SP (Co-Chair) – “ WHO Expert Panel on Ayurveda Terminology meeting”
- Vinjamury SP, Hamilton G. Innovative Approach to teaching Research Methods for CAM professions. Presented at: APHA National Meeting; Oct 29- Nov 2, 2011; Washington DC.
- Vinjamury SP. Research Literacy in CAM Practitioners. Presented at: APHA National Meeting: October 28 – 31, 2012; San Francisco, CA
- Vinjamury M, Vinjamury SP. Effect of Panchakarma (ayurveda detoxification therapy) in Secondary Amenorrhea due to PCOS – A case report. Presented at: APHA National Meeting: October 28 – 31, 2012; San Francisco, CA
- Vinjamury SP, Russell R, Lee C. Chiropractic and Acupuncture Services for the Underserved – A Success Story. Presented at: Integrative Medicine for the Underserved Conference: August 7-8, 2013; Santa Clara, CA
- Vinjamury SP. Shirodhara for Insomnia – A Case Series. Methodological Challenges in conducting a clinical trial in Ayurveda. Presented at: International Conference for Clinicians in Complementary and Integrative Medicine (ICCCIM), Oct 29-31, 2013; Chicago, IL
- Vinjamury SP.– Ayurvedic Manual Therapies for Integrative Medicine Clinics. Presented at: International Conference for Clinicians in Complementary and Integrative Medicine (ICCCIM), Oct 29-31, 2013; Chicago, IL
- Vinjamury SP, Kizhakkeveettil A, Hsiao L, Hsiao E. Comparison of Health Behavior Patterns of CAM students and College Students. Presented at: APHA National Meeting: November 3-6, 2013; Boston, MA.
- Vinjamury SP, Miller JA. Challenges in Patient Recruitment and Retention in Clinical Trials: Is there a need for Interprofessional Collaboration? Poster Presented at the ACC-RAC: March 19-21, 2015; Las Vegas, NV.
- Hamilton G, Vinjamury SP. Characteristics of Patients Receiving Acupuncture at Health Events for the Underserved in Southern California. Poster presented at IM4US Conference, Boston, Aug 7-8, 2015.
- Vinjamury SP, Kimura M. Characteristics of Acupuncture Patients attending a University Clinic – Retrospective Data Analysis using an EHR system. Poster presentation at the Society for Acupuncture Research International Conference in Boston, Nov 12-14, 2015
- Vinjamury SP, Noborikawa J. Integrative Management of Dyslipidemia using Ayurvedic and Chinese Medicine Herbs in a Statin Intolerant Patient – A Case Report. Poster presented at Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine Annual Conference, San Diego, Oct 24-27, 2015
- Vinjamury SP, Hsiao, L., Noborikawa, J. Pain in Traditional Medicine – Why Diverse Approaches?. Poster presented at APHA Conference, Chicago. October 31-Nov 4, 2015
- McCarty R, Vinjamury SP, Loudon, W.G. Integrative Complementary Alternative Medicine program at Children’s Hospital of Orange County – Serving Pediatric Oncology Patients. Poster presented at SIO Conference, Boston, Nov 14-16, 2015
- Vinjamury SP, Noborikawa J, Thanthithamma K. Intergrative Management of Non-healing post-surgical wound after total knee replacement using TCM and Ayurveda – A Case Report. Poster presented at ICIMH Conference, Las Vegas, May 17-20, 2016
- Vinjamury SP, Treadway B, Rodriguez E. Characteristics of Cyclists Who Sought Chiropractic Care During AIDS LifeCycle: A Retrospective Data Analysis. Poster presented at ICIMH Conference, Las Vegas, May 17-20, 2016
- Vinjamury SP, Smith V, Chen, CH. Integrative Management of Intractable Migraine Headache with TCM and Western Medicine in a Patient with Multiple Comorbidities- A Case Report. Poster presented at APHA Conference, Denver, October 31-Nov 2, 2016.
- Program Review Chair for APHA – ACHP-SPIG 2011-15
- Section Chair, Integrative Complementary Traditional Health Practices – 2016-18
Membership in Societies:
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Member, Society of Acupuncture Research
- Member, National Ayurvedic Medical Association, USA
- Member, American Alternative Medicine Association
Editorial Board Member for the following Journals:
- American Acupuncturist
- Topics in Integrative Health Care
- Meridians: The Journal of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine