In addition to the general requirements for admission to Southern California University of Health Sciences, applicants to the Master of Science in Medical Science (Pending WSCUC approval) must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university, or international equivalent. While applicants typically have degrees in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, or other related field, applicants with degrees in other fields of study will be considered.
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale. Exceptions to the GPA requirement are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Complete all required prerequisites with a C or better. Exceptions to prerequisites requirements may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants from institutions following the quarter system will have an equivalent unit number calculated for prerequisite requirements.
- General Biology I & II (with labs) – 8 semester units or 12 quarter units including physiology, anatomy, and either genetics or cell biology
- General Chemistry I & II (with labs) – 8 units or 12 quarter units
- Organic Chemistry I & II (with labs) – 8 units or 12 quarter units
- Physics I & II (with labs) – 8 units or 12 quarter units
- Mathematics – 6 units or 9 quarter units
- Biochemistry – 3 units or 4.5 quarter units
- Personal statement explaining your reasons for pursuing a Master of Science in Medical Science. Explain your short-term and long-term career plans, and how your background, previous experience, interest, and/or values, when combined with a Master of Science in Medical Science degree from Southern California University of Health Sciences, will enable you to successfully pursue these goals. Minimum of 300 words and not to exceed 600 words.
- Test scores from one of the following standardized admissions test is recommended but not required MCAT, DAT, OAT, PCAT, GRE, or VCAT.
Letter(s) of recommendation:
- Letter(s) of recommendation are not a mandatory element for program admissions. The Program Director may ask for up to two letters of recommendation during the application process.
- Students for whom English is not their primary language must demonstrate English competency by scoring at least 500 (paper-based) or 173 (computer-based) or 61 (iBT based on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and at least the current mean score on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) if they did not take the iBT based test. English as a “primary language” is defined as graduation from a high school whose primary mode of instruction was English, or graduation from a high school where English is the official language of the country. All other applicants must demonstrate English competency as described here. Exceptions to the above policy will be handled on a case by case basis.
- International students needing an I-20 can access the documentation at https://www.scuhs.edu/admissions/international-students/