Collaborative. Immersive. Inspiring.
What is Interprofessional Education?
We like to look at healthcare education a little differently. And it’s a pretty unique approach, both here in California and across the country. Here modern medicine unites with ancient and traditional healing arts to create an environment of experiential learning. SCU’s groundbreaking Interprofessional Education (IPE) model combines curriculum, clinic, community, and clubs to help you develop a broader base of knowledge and gain a deeper appreciation for different perspectives on care. The depth and breadth of this dynamic experience will prepare you to one day serve as a vital part of an Interprofessional care team.
IPE responds to an urgent need for health professionals to work together to create new models of care. Future healthcare professionals must be better prepared to lead and collaborate in interprofessional teams. – Guidance on Developing Quality Interprofessional Education for the Health Professions, a joint publication of HPAC and NCIPE, February 1, 2019
What to Expect from SCU’s Interprofessional Approach?
What to Expect
Discover What Truly Matters
How SCU’s IPE Provides a Special Experience
- Interprofessional Education at SCU is a University-wide model that includes curriculum, clinicals, community, clubs, and provides for a seamless transition from student to practitioner.
- SCU’s IPE curriculum framework is tied to achievement of outcomes in key areas that reflect SCU’s commitment to health equity: patient care, health systems, population health, and underserved communities.
- Most programs interprofessional experiences are more of an ensemble of cross-trained disciplines than a purposeful focus on developing interprofessional providers and healthcare professionals.
- There is a difference between university programs that put an integrative filter on allopathic care, and those that synthesize multiple disciplines to create a value of the whole that is greater than the contribution of the individual discipline parts. The healthcare market has the former but needs the latter which is delivered by SCU.
- The shift to reimburse providers based on patient outcomes (value) rather than the number of billable events (volume) has placed a premium on addressing the root causes of poor health. SCU’s IPE model can be a platform for providers to improve health outcomes in these value-based reimbursement models.
How Does IPE Impact My Career Post-Graduation?
Become a Well-Rounded Practitioner with SCU
Goes Beyond Boundaries