Accelerated Science Courses
- Accelerated: Over 20 courses completed in as little as 4 weeks with rolling starts and many online options. View Full Course Listing.
- Accepted: Credits transfer to numerous colleges and universities.
- Accredited: Over 100 years of establishment and over 20 years of regional accreditation by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
- Affordable: All-inclusive pricing covers tuition, fees, textbook(s), lab coat, and goggles with no hidden fees.
Future Healthcare Leaders Encouraged to Start Their Journey Now
- Interactive Online (lectures and labs): Prior on-campus courses are now being delivered online via an interactive online format (specific class times). That means you attend the course during a scheduled time, just like if you were to drive to class. Interactive Online classes provide group-based virtual learning through Zoom. Classes happen in real time with required attendance during a set schedule. Students can participate in group discussions with classmates and the instructor. This format is suited for students who prefer to learn with others, who like the structure of coming to class at a set time, and who may need additional review of foundational concepts.
- Self-Paced Online (lectures): SCU’s traditional online lecture courses fit into this format (no specific class times). Self-Paced Online classes provide the chance to study at your own pace (as long as you meet certain assignment due dates) and meet individually or in small groups with instructors as needed via Zoom at times that work for the students (after an initial Zoom meeting, there are no required attendance times). This format is best for students who need flexibility in their schedule and who are self-directed learners with recent exposure to relevant foundational knowledge in their course subject.
Note: All online labs will continue to be run in the Interactive Online format with specific class times, as this is necessary for the simulation of a hands-on lab experience. Labs are offered on a four-week schedule or an intensive week-long schedule, both with specific class time requirements.
Transferability of online lab credits: As is always the case, SCU or any institution cannot guarantee the transferability of our courses because those decisions are made by the receiving institution. The Department of Education has asked all schools to take into consideration these emergency circumstances related to COVID-19 and online instruction. Students are encouraged to continue their education uninterrupted during this global pandemic, and therefore are encouraged to complete their labs online. You may want to contact your institution to determine their policy about online versus on-campus labs, which may change due to the global pandemic.
Regardless, SCU is committed to making on-campus labs available when the campus is able to reopen and resume normal operations. Students who have completed a course with an online lab that determine later that they need a ground lab will be given the opportunity to “make up” the ground lab.
Exams: Exams will be proctored remotely through Proctorio or Tegrity. Interactive Online students need a webcam and the Proctorio Google Chrome extension. Self-Paced Online students need a webcam and must demonstrate their ability to use Tegrity before taking exams. Instructors have adapted their quizzes and exams to assess mastery of materials. In addition to the usual multiple-choice question exam format, you may also be tested via short essays, oral exams, and home-based projects.
Once the campus reopens, SCU will provide details and directions for students relating to the transition back to on-campus learning. As soon as that date has been determined, SCU will notify students.
What to Expect
- Your instructors will use a combination of Zoom and Canvas to deliver your classes, enable discussions, and make all aspects of learning happen remotely.
- You should be prepared to use these tools to connect with your instructors and other students.
- If your course includes a lab, your faculty will let you know details.
- You will be contacted by your faculty directly about the details of your course. Please keep an eye on your SCU email and Canvas. Please note that each faculty member may manage their class slightly differently.
Attend your class in Zoom or through Canvas
Learn and manage class work in Canvas
Join in class discussions through Zoom chat or Canvas
Multiple Start Dates Each Month
Starting June 25th, 2020
Starting June 27th, 2020
Starting June 28th, 2020
Starting July 17th, 2020
Starting July 30th, 2020
Starting August 1st, 2020
Starting August 3rd, 2020
SCU helped me so much in my career! If it weren't for SCU, I would not have been able to get into the program I needed.
You can tell the professors genuinely want the students to succeed. There are too many good things to say about SCU!
– Shaina, Previous Accelerated Science Course Student
Classes fill quickly, so please do not wait to apply. Students are registered on a first-come, first-served basis. All courses are listed in SCU publications and the application regardless of the current number of registrants. Registration is not confirmed until an email is sent. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please confirm registration by emailing Admissions@scuhs.edu.