Student Consumer Information


Student Consumer Information

Information About SCU

The Vision of Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU) is that SCU will be recognized as the premier evidence-based integrative healthcare university. Our mission is to educate students as competent, caring, and successful integrative healthcare practitioners.  The University is committed to providing excellence in academics, service, scholarship, and leadership through the Los Angeles College of Chiropractic, the College of Eastern Medicine, and the College of Science and Integrative Health. For over a century, SCU has trained men and women for successful and significant careers in patient care. We have the curriculum, faculty, and facilities necessary to help you evolve into the natural healer you long to be. SCU is located on a beautiful 25-acre campus in Whittier, California, about 20 miles Southeast of Los Angeles and on the border of Orange County. Students enjoy a quiet suburban atmosphere and the advantages of being near a large city. We are located at 16200 Amber Valley Dr. Whittier, CA 90604. We can be reached by calling (562) 947-8755.

Consumer Information

If you need assistance or would like a paper copy of any of the Consumer Information listed below, please call, come in or contact OneStop Enrollment Services. Address: OneStop Enrollment Services, Bldg. B, 16200 Amber Valley Dr., CA, 90604.  Phone: (562) 475-4604 Or Email:,, or

Academic Catalog

For a listing of all the academic programs, degree requirements, transfer credit policies, that SCU offers the Academic Catalog can be obtained here

Accreditation Agencies

SCU reports to three accreditation  agencies the list of the agencies can be found at this web address:  SCU is proud to be affiliated with the following professional affiliations listed on this website.

See the most recent action letter from WSCUC by clicking here.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. No one outside the institution shall have access to students’ education records nor will the institution disclose any information from those records without the written consent of student. There are exceptions, such as allowing certain personnel within the institution with legitimate educational interest to view the records, or releasing in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons. More information about FERPA can be found here.

SCU Information Technology Policies

If you would like information on the SCU Information Technology policies please visit this page.

Voter Registration

Detailed voter registration information for California residents can be found at Voter registration forms are also available on campus at the – Chesney Center and OneStop Enrollment Services Building B, 16200 Amber Valley Dr., CA, 90604.

Gainful Employment

The U.S. Department of Education has established regulations requiring certificate and vocational programs at non-profit institutions that receive Federal student aid to meet specific standards to prepare students for gainful employment. More information about Southern California Gainful Employment education programs can be found at the following web addresses:

Career Placement Services Offered to Students

Salary / Employment Settings / Professional Associations

 Doctor of Chiropractic Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine

Total Cost of Attendance

Information regarding cost of attending can be found at websites listed below.
It is important to note that the estimate provided using this calculator does not represent a final determination, or actual award, of financial assistance, or a final net price; it is an estimate based on price of attendance and financial aid provided to students in a previous year. The price of attendance and financial aid availability change year to year. The estimates shall not be binding on the Secretary of Education, the institution of higher education, or the State. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be eligible for, and receive, an actual financial aid award that includes Federal grants, loans, or work-study assistance. We subscribe to the principle that the amount of financial aid granted to a student should be based on demonstrated need, which is the difference between the student’s cost of attending the University and the family’s ability to pay. FAFSA uses financial aid data to determine eligibility. Upon receipt of the financial information from the US Department of Education, the Office of Financial Aid estimates the student’s need by subtracting the amount of the family’s contribution from the total cost of attendance, which includes estimated educational expenses of the student, including indirect expenses such as books, personal expenses, and transportation. Information about student financial aid can be obtained at

Services and Facilities for Students with Disabilities

The Academic Support Office coordinates and provides various academic and support services and resources to students with disabilities as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Information is available in the Academic Support Office, located in Seabury Learning Resource Center 16200 Amber Valley Dr., CA, 90604, phone (562) 947-8755 x512, email:; or visit this website Disability resources offered can be found here.

Student Activities Offered by SCU

Clubs Community Service

United States Constitution Day

The U.S. Department of Education has established regulations requiring educational institutions receiving Federal funding are required to hold an educational program pertaining to the United States Constitution on September 17 of each year. If you would like more information regarding the Constitution Day program at SCU please call, come in or contact OneStop Enrollment Services, Bldg. B, 16200 Amber Valley Dr., CA, 90604.  Phone: (562) 475-4604

Course and Textbook Information

Course schedules with recommended textbook information, including the ISBN, author, title, publisher, copyright date and price for each course are available through the Virtual Bookstore at Additionally textbook information for the Bachelor of Science in Health Science can be found at this web address:

Student Diversity

Information regarding student diversity, including race/ethnicity, economics and gender, can be obtained from the links listed below: The Office of Institutional Effectiveness is located at 16200 Amber Valley Dr. Whittier, CA 90604. Phone (562) 947-8755.

Retention and Graduation Rates

Retention and graduation rates can be obtained from the links listed below: The most recent retention and graduation rates can be found here. The Office of Institutional Effectiveness is located at 16200 Amber Valley Dr. Whittier, CA 90604. Phone (562) 947-8755.

Immunization Requirements

A copy of the Vaccination policy can be obtained through this link: Immunization Requirements

Copyright Infringement

We respect copyright laws and will not tolerate any unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, including unauthorized peer-to-peer file sharing, illegal downloading, or other inappropriate use of the University’s information technology system. Civil and criminal penalties for violation of federal copyright laws are applicable. Additionally, specific policies can be obtained here.

Institutional Drug and Alcohol Policy

The Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs is published annually in MySCU. Student conduct regulations prohibit the unlawful use, possession, sale, delivery, manufacturing, consumption or distribution of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs by students and student organizations. Other alcohol-related and drug-related misconduct is also prohibited. Sanctions are detailed for students who violate this policy. These policies may be obtained here/ The Biennial Review of Alcohol & Other Drug Programs 2012, 2013, 2014, in compliance with the Drug Free Schools and Campuses Regulations (34 CFR Part 86) of the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act (DFSCA), can be viewed here.

Emergency Response and Evacuation Procedures

Effective communication is one of the major challenges in emergency management. We have a comprehensive emergency notification system including on campus phone voicemail and email. Details are available through the Department of Campus Safety.

Campus Safety

The primary concern of the Department of Campus Security is the safety and security of all members of the campus community. In compliance with U.S. Department of Education Rules and Regulations CFR 34, Part 668.46 which is commonly referred to as the Jeanne Clery Act, we post crime statistics and other important information such as current campus policies concerning security of and access to campus facilities, programs offered to inform students and employees about crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. This website contains complete on-campus crime statistics. Paper copies of this report are available upon request from the Department of Campus Safety 16200 Amber Valley Dr. Whittier, CA 90604. (562) 947-8755 x 515 or visit this site.

Financial Aid Availability

We are committed to assisting students and their families in meeting their financial obligations to the institution. Admissions decisions are based on the applicant’s academic qualifications, not on ability to pay. The goal of the Office of Financial Aid is to help students make their education affordable. For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid, in person in the OneStop Enrollment Services, Bldg. B, 16200 Amber Valley Dr., CA, 90604 or by Phone (562) 947-8755 ext 766, or Email Main sources for institutional financial aid are 1) grants, (2) federal loans, (3) part-time employment, and (4) scholarships. Scholarships and grants are portions of the financial aid award that do not have to be repaid, and are made possible by special gifts and income from the University, various state programs, and the federal government. Any student who wishes to receive financial aid from any of the programs administered here must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Supplemental information may be required for some scholarship programs. More information about the scholarship programs at SCU available at and FAFSA school code: 001229.

Financial Shopping Sheet

The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet (PDF) is a consumer tool that can be used to notify students about their financial aid package. It is a standardized form that is designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so that they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school. SCU students can access their Financial Shopping Sheet by going to this site on MySCU: Shopping Sheet

Grants Information

Federal and state grants are awarded based on financial need. These grants include federal sources such as the Federal Pell Grant. Additionally, need-based  work program such as Federal Work Study,  which is a program through which you earn money ,while in school , to help you pay for your educational expenses are awarded to qualified individuals. Information about the Pell grant and Federal Work Study program  may be obtained from the SCU Financial aid Office, and by visiting this site

Student Loan Information

SCU, participates in the Federal Direct Lending Program. This program, administered by the US Department of Education, provides for Federal Direct loans for students and PLUS loans for students and parents. The Federal Direct loan may be subsidized (need-based) or unsubsidized (non need-based). These loans are determined after the Financial Aid Office receives a student’s FAFSA. Loan levels are set by the US Department of Education and awarded based on the number of University credits a student has completed. The website provides a variety of additional information at including information about private loan lenders, and counseling for student borrowers.

Maintaining Eligibility for Student Financial Aid

SCU, adheres to the terms of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended by Congress) that require institutions of higher education to establish minimum standards of “Satisfactory Progress” for students receiving financial aid. A student’s eligibility to receive financial aid from federal or state sources is verified upon the initial award. Subsequently, his/her grades and percentage of credits completed are evaluated by the Office of Financial Aid at the end of each semester to ensure that a student has met our definition of satisfactory progress. A student has progressed satisfactorily if he/she has a cumulative grade point average (GPA) at or above a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA and completes the required number of credit hours for the academic year. If a student does not meet these criteria then financial aid may be removed, however there is a process where a student can appeal a loss of aid decision. This policy is available in the Office of Financial Aid. Individuals in this circumstance will receive written notification of the action to cancel their aid as well as information regarding the appeal process. Any conviction for any offenses under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs during their enrollment will result in the student’s loss of eligibility for any financial aid, regardless of the source, including all grants, loans, scholarships and work-study assistance. Information about maintaining eligibility for student financial aid, including federal work study, can be obtained in the consumer information guide linked at the top of this page or at

Repayment Policy (Return of Title IV Aid)

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes may only keep the financial aid (federal “Title IV” grant and loan assistance) they have “earned” up to the time of withdrawal. Funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the university and/or the student to the federal government see refund policy at:

Refund Calculations

The university has a tuition refund policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that are refunded to a student who withdraws from all classes during a term.  This policy is published by the Student Accounts Office and by the Office of Financial Aid on the web and in publications.  Information can be found on the website at

Private Loans

Private student loans are offered through a variety of banks and other lenders. Students must apply for these loans separately from their financial aid application. The best rates on private loans generally are offered to borrowers who have good credit and/or who have a cosigner with good credit. When shopping for a private loan, it is important to look for a loan you can live with in both the short term and the long term. You may be repaying it for several years after graduation.

About Private Loans

Private education loans are offered by many banks and loan companies. Many lenders will lend up to the amount of the student’s cost of attendance minus any financial aid he or she has received. Often there is a yearly and/or cumulative cap on the amount the student may borrow; sometimes this cap is set by the student’s school. In addition to increasing your chances of getting approved for the loan, having another person cosign for your loan sometimes helps you get a lower interest rate and may reduce the time it takes to get the loan approved.. Your cosigner should be someone who has a steady income and a good credit history. Some lenders will release the cosigner from the loan after a period of time if the student borrower has met certain requirements such as making payments on time.

Private Lender Requirements

New provisions in the Truth in Lending Act, implemented in February 2010, have resulted in a number of changes in the process for applying for and receiving private education loans. Lenders who provide these loans must comply with the following requirements: Lenders must provide three separate loan disclosures to borrowers–one at the point of application, one when the loan is approved, and one before the loan is disbursed. A waiting period of three to seven business days is required between the time the borrower receives the final loan disclosure and the time that the loan is disbursed. Students must also sign a self-certification form and submit it to the lender before the loan can be disbursed.  Your lender should provide you with all of the information you need to know about these requirements.  A copy of a private loan self-certification form can be found at this web address: SCU uses a private loan application system called Fast Choice. At Fast Choice, students and parents are able to search, compare, and apply for private loans. The web address to review a variety of  private loan  lenders is: Free or lower-cost Title IV federal, state, or school student financial aid may be available in place of, or in addition to, a private education loan.  For any questions about private or federal aid options such as federal grants, loans and work-study, please contact the financial aid office. Located in the OneStop Enrollment Services, Bldg. B, 16200 Amber Valley Dr., CA, 90604.  Phone: (562) 475-4604 or  Email

SCU Veteran Education Benefits

SCU has adopted the Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members.  On April27, 2012, the President of The United States signed Executive Order 13607, Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members. The published Executive Order is available at:  This Executive Order addresses key areas relating to Federal military and veterans educational benefits programs. If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September l 0, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service­ connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program.  Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling. If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, 01-02, or Wl-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career. If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to you. For more information on using Veterans Educational Benefits at SCU please go to this web address: Or contact the Office of Financial Aid, in person in the OneStop Enrollment Services, Bldg. B, 16200 Amber Valley Dr., CA, 90604 or by Phone (562) 947-8755 ext 766, or Email “GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Veteran Benefits and Financial Aid

Veteran students are eligible to apply for the maximum amount of Federal grant and loan aid available to students. Veteran students are eligible for Federal Loans and grants in addition to their Veteran Education benefits. Veteran students must meet the eligibility requirements for receiving Federal grant and loan programs. Information on the types of Federal grant and loans available to all students can be found in the SCU Financial Aid Handbook at this web address

Veteran Students Interested in Private Educational Loans

In addition to Federal loans and grants veteran students also have access to borrowing private educational loans. Private student loans are nonfederal loans, made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, state agency, or a school. Federal student loans include many benefits (such as fixed interest rates and income-based repayment plans) not typically offered with private loans. In contrast, private loans are generally more expensive than federal student loans. The following website will help you compare the differences between federal loans and private loans used for educational purposes: Please note that all of these resources are available upon  request  for students to access in the OneStop Enrollment Services Building B, 16200 Amber Valley Dr., CA, 90604. Phone: (562) 475-4604 or Email:,, or
Link Text