Student Ipad Requirement
SCU Student iPad Requirement
As a student entering a masters or doctorate program at SCU, you are required to have an iPad.
iPads will be used throughout the curriculum to support instruction and examinations will be electronically administered on your iPad via SofTest. Electronic testing allows students and faculty to monitor progress toward academic benchmarks at a detailed level, and helps to rapidly identify areas where tutoring or other resources may be needed to help you succeed.
You are responsible for the purchase, upkeep and protection of your iPad. It is important that you bring a fully charged iPad and your charger to campus each day. You will need your iPad at the beginning of the T-1 orientation session. At orientation, you will receive instructions on the use of SofTest for taking exams, you will install SofTest, set-up your email, and connect to Wi-Fi.
You may purchase your iPad at the retail outlet of your choice. If you are looking for an Apple store, here is the link for the online Apple Store locator: https://www.apple.com/retail/locator/
Apple offers 90 days of free phone, online, or retail store support with the purchase of a new iPad. Call your local Apple Store to set up an appointment or drop in and chat with an Apple representative. Ideally, you’ll complete the initial iPad set-up at the time of purchase.
- At a minimum, we recommend a full size iPad 2, Wi-Fi, 16GB.
- If you intend to store significant content, choose a device with 32GB or 64GB.
- Consider a newer iPad to better support a variety of applications (iPad 3, iPad 4 [Retina Display] or iPad 5 [Air] are also acceptable).
- A wireless enabled iPad provides greater mobility but increases the cost of the device and requires a data plan.
- The iPad mini does not meet our requirements as its screen size may not be adequate for some applications. This could be a disadvantage when you are viewing or testing with some educational materials.
- Apple Care+ protection plan for extended technical support and accidental damage protection.
- Safeware.com offers additional insurance coverage for accidental damage and theft.
You will take tests through SofTest on your iPad. In order for the SofTest to run efficiently, the iPad must have:
- iOS 9 and above
- 30% charge to commence a Secure Exam
- 500 MB of free space required to commence an exam
- Not been “Jail Broken”
While older model iPads are supported by the testing software, you are encouraged to bring a current model iPad. SofTest (ExamSoft) may change the list of supported devices at any time, leaving older devices unsupported. A newer iPad is more likely to retain its usefulness throughout your entire degree program.
To find out if you are eligible for additional funds to cover the cost of your iPad, please contact the Office of Financial Aid by emailing email@example.com or calling 562-947-8755; ext. 766.
iPad & SCU Technology Policies
You are responsible for reviewing and understanding iPad Policies on Security, Acceptable Use and Privacy as well as SCU’s technology policies located here.
Questions regarding ExamSoft or SofTest?
Feel free to contact the Academic Support Office with questions, concerns, and comments.