Los Angeles College of Chiropractic
SCU’s Los Angeles College of Chiropractic
or call (877) 434-7757
Upcoming Start Dates
- Fall: Tuesday, September 8, 2020
SCU’s Doctor of Chiropractic
Summer StartStudents starting at SCU this summer will begin their courses online and will transition to on-campus learning once COVID-19 “Shelter in Place” restrictions have been lifted. The expected program length and graduation date are unchanged.
What is different?
- New students will get to experience orientation, connect with others, and prepare to make this first step to building a healthier future through our online orientation.
- Classes are now being delivered to all students via a virtual, interactive online format. That means you attend courses during scheduled times with live instructors and classmates, just as if you were to drive to class. Virtual online classes provide interactive, group-based learning through Zoom and other platforms. Classes happen in real time, with required attendance. Students participate in group discussions with classmates and the instructor. This format is well-suited to students who prefer to learn with others, and who like the structure of coming to class at a set time.
- Once our physical campus reopens, SCU will provide details and directions to students about transitioning back to on-campus learning. The transition date will be communicated to students with weeks of lead time to help students navigate that change. We will be excited to return to campus, and assure you that all students will receive the necessary hands-on training and skill assessments expected as we support their progress towards graduation and work in their chosen career.
- New students will have a Virtual Orientation before the term starts, where they will receive more information about the program, expectations, and details related to the online classes.
Still have questions?
- Get in touch with our admissions department: [email protected] or phone 877-424-7757.
What to Expect
- Your instructors will use a combination of Zoom and Canvas to deliver your classes, enable discussions, and make all aspects of learning happen remotely.
- You should be prepared to use these tools to connect with your instructors and other students.
- If your course includes a lab, your faculty will let you know details.
- You will be contacted by your faculty directly about the details of your course. Please keep an eye on your email and each Canvas course page. Each faculty member may manage their class slightly differently based on the course material to best support learning.
Attend your class in Zoom or through Canvas
Learn and manage class work in Canvas
Join in class discussions through Zoom chat or Canvas
Join the Movement!Become part of a University committed to transforming and redefining healthcare and healthcare education. SCU recognizes that healthcare should move beyond treating symptoms by understanding personal circumstances leading to better patient outcomes, lower costs, and improved quality of life. SCU’s academic community consists of faculty and staff who value and teach whole person care and empower our students to become patient-centered practitioners. Learning to understand what matters to the patient and their family, what are their personal circumstances, and what are their recovery goals makes SCU students’ balanced practitioners.
Learn to determine what matters to the patient vs. just finding out what’s the matter!SCU’s unique value-based integrative healthcare model:
- Value-based: Helping patients improve their health by identifying the right provider for their current need in order to live healthier lives, and to deliver the best outcome for the most efficient cost.
- Integrative: A healthcare perspective that emphasizes understanding personal circumstances leading to better patient outcomes, providing treatments informed by evidence, building a trusted patient-provider relationship, and making use of all appropriate therapeutic approaches and disciplines.
- Interprofessional: Students gain an understanding of other disciplines to broaden treatment options and build collaboration skills that will make them more marketable and effective in the workplace.
- Over 100 years of innovative leadership with a unique integrative educational model.
- Exceptional academics, research, and clinical outcomes among faculty, alumni, and students.
- Financial aid available through need and merit based scholarship, work study, and more.
- Alumni network and many affiliations facilitate job placement, networking, and continuing education.
- Three industry leading sports medicine pathways.
- Competitive residencies including Sports Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging.
- SCU Health System is highly reputable and prepares students in an interprofessional environment.
- Incomparable student experience with over 30 student clubs and organizations and a family-like environment.
Curriculum OverviewSCU’s Chiropractic curriculum is evidence-based, outcomes-focused, highly rigorous and academic. Since 1911, SCU has been a leader in innovative curricular design, incorporating lectures and laboratories in addition to a significant amount of additional means of instruction. One of LACC’s unique differentiators is our integrative approach to education and healthcare delivery. The combination of course design and clinical experience will equip you to change lives and turn your passion into a profession as a competent, caring, and practice-ready Doctor of Chiropractic.
- Leading Diagnostics: Become proficient in cutting edge diagnostic methodology and practice on par with industry leading medical schools. Excellence in diagnostics, treatment, and technique aligns our mission to educate truly patient- centered and integrative healthcare practitioners.
- Exceptional Rotations: Develop competence with a blend of rotations through a network of affiliated private practices and base clinics. Rotation partners include the Cal State, University of California, many other university health systems, and the largest free clinic in the country.
- Unrivaled Residencies Advance your career with three prestigious post-doctoral programs including Sports Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging. Our own on-campus, highly recognized SCU Health System offers both hands-on experience and residency opportunities in an inter-professional environment.
Focus on the Fundamentals. This year concentrates on the basic sciences to provide a solid foundation of understanding how the body is organized on a cellular, tissue, and organ level, along with regional interrelationships. Chiropractic technique courses start in term one and occur every term until the clinical year. Students do this in an inter-professional educational environment by being in classes with students from a variety of healthcare professions; learning about, from, and with each other.
Focus on Clinical Sciences. Several classes take advantage of the inter-professional educational opportunities at SCU, but with many chiropractic specific courses, this year builds upon year one by focusing on how basic science knowledge about structure and function relate to the clinical presentation of a patient in both health and disease.
Putting it All Together with Clinical Practice. In Year three, students put basic and clinical science knowledge to work in consulting with, diagnosis, and treating the real patients under the supervision of licensed doctors and with peers in other professions. The graduate is fully prepared to lead in today’s evolving healthcare environment.
Doctor of Chiropractic Student
Doctor of Chiropractic Student/Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Graduate
Watch Webinar Recordings
Program Overview with Dean Egan
How Chiropractors Help Patients
SCU Chiropractic Student Panel
LACC’s Rich History, Innovation, and Prominence at SCULACC was founded in 1911. The institution’s name was changed to Southern California University of Health Sciences as more programs have been added in recent years. The Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) program has maintained a strong emphasis among our many offerings. Many members of SCU’s administration are trained DCs including both the President and Chief Clinical Officer. The majority of the student body is made of Chiropractic students, which speaks to this program’s distinction not only in our rich history, but in the university today.
Los Angeles College of Chiropractic prepares students to become compassionate, evidence-informed chiropractors that improve lives through a person-centered, outcome-focused approach to health and healing.