Los Angeles College of Chiropractic
SCU’s Los Angeles College of Chiropractic
Upcoming Start Dates
- Spring: Monday, January 11, 2020
- Summer: Monday, May 10, 2021
SCU’s Doctor of Chiropractic
Fall Start – Online LearningStudents entering in fall will be starting under a Limited Campus Opening scenario. The plan for new students starting in fall is to offer all required classes online. SCU will also provide an optional Introductory Clinical Experience course which will require some time on-campus. Interactive Online Lectures: Lecture courses will be taught via synchronous or asynchronous, technology enhanced, and interactive remote learning. Most classes are held during scheduled times. Interactive Online classes provide group-based interactive learning through Zoom. Synchronous classes happen in real time with required attendance during a set schedule. Self-Paced Online Lectures: Classes have some scheduled online time during the term, but most of the courses can be done at any time of the day and attendance is taken based on the assignments you complete. Optional Introductory Clinical Experience Course: Students have the option to participate in a clinical observation at a SCU credentialed Doctor’s office in addition to a required on-campus component. Click here to learn more.
What to Expect?
- New students will get to experience orientation, connect with others, and prepare to make this first step to building a healthier future through our online orientation.
- New students will have a Virtual Orientation before the term starts, where they will receive more information about the program, expectations, and details.
- Students opting to participate in the optional Introductory Clinical Experience course must complete the required forms and follow health and safety protocols.
Attend your class in Zoom or through Canvas
Learn and manage class work in Canvas
Join in class discussions through Zoom chat or Canvas
Learning Temporarily Continues Online
Join the Movement!Become part of a University committed to transforming and redefining healthcare and healthcare education. SCU recognizes that healthcare should move beyond treating symptoms by understanding personal circumstances leading to better patient outcomes, lower costs, and improved quality of life. SCU’s academic community consists of faculty and staff who value and teach whole person care and empower our students to become patient-centered practitioners. Learning to understand what matters to the patient and their family, what are their personal circumstances, and what are their recovery goals makes SCU students’ balanced practitioners.
Learn to determine what matters to the patient vs. just finding out what’s the matter!SCU’s unique value-based integrative healthcare model:
- Value-based: Helping patients improve their health by identifying the right provider for their current need in order to live healthier lives, and to deliver the best outcome for the most efficient cost.
- Integrative: A healthcare perspective that emphasizes understanding personal circumstances leading to better patient outcomes, providing treatments informed by evidence, building a trusted patient-provider relationship, and making use of all appropriate therapeutic approaches and disciplines.
- Interprofessional: Students gain an understanding of other disciplines to broaden treatment options and build collaboration skills that will make them more marketable and effective in the workplace.
- Over 100 years of innovative leadership with a unique integrative educational model.
- Exceptional academics, research, and clinical outcomes among faculty, alumni, and students.
- Financial aid available through need and merit based scholarship, work study, and more.
- Alumni network and many affiliations facilitate job placement, networking, and continuing education.
- Three industry leading sports medicine pathways.
- Competitive residencies including Sports Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging.
- SCU Health System is highly reputable and prepares students in an interprofessional environment.
- Incomparable student experience with over 30 student clubs and organizations and a family-like environment.
Curriculum OverviewSCU’s Chiropractic curriculum is evidence-based, outcomes-focused, highly rigorous and academic. Since 1911, SCU has been a leader in innovative curricular design, incorporating lectures and laboratories in addition to a significant amount of additional means of instruction. One of LACC’s unique differentiators is our integrative approach to education and healthcare delivery. The combination of course design and clinical experience will equip you to change lives and turn your passion into a profession as a competent, caring, and practice-ready Doctor of Chiropractic.
- Leading Diagnostics: Become proficient in cutting edge diagnostic methodology and practice on par with industry leading medical schools. Excellence in diagnostics, treatment, and technique aligns our mission to educate truly patient- centered and integrative healthcare practitioners.
- Exceptional Rotations: Develop competence with a blend of rotations through a network of affiliated private practices and base clinics. Rotation partners include the Cal State, University of California, many other university health systems, and the largest free clinic in the country.
- Unrivaled Residencies Advance your career with three prestigious post-doctoral programs including Sports Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging. Our own on-campus, highly recognized SCU Health System offers both hands-on experience and residency opportunities in an inter-professional environment.
Focus on the Fundamentals. This year concentrates on the basic sciences to provide a solid foundation of understanding how the body is organized on a cellular, tissue, and organ level, along with regional interrelationships. Chiropractic technique courses start in term one and occur every term until the clinical year. Students do this in an inter-professional educational environment by being in classes with students from a variety of healthcare professions; learning about, from, and with each other.
Focus on Clinical Sciences. Several classes take advantage of the inter-professional educational opportunities at SCU, but with many chiropractic specific courses, this year builds upon year one by focusing on how basic science knowledge about structure and function relate to the clinical presentation of a patient in both health and disease.
Putting it All Together with Clinical Practice. In Year three, students put basic and clinical science knowledge to work in consulting with, diagnosis, and treating the real patients under the supervision of licensed doctors and with peers in other professions. The graduate is fully prepared to lead in today’s evolving healthcare environment.
Doctor of Chiropractic Student
Doctor of Chiropractic Student/Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Graduate