Los Angeles College of Chiropractic
SCU’s Los Angeles College of Chiropractic
or call (877) 434-7757
SCU’s Doctor of Chiropractic
An Exciting Profession!
Profession for job security with 0.1% unemployment rate1
Median salary per year2
Projected employment growth, much faster than the average for all occupations3
Best occupational ranking4
Best job in healthcare5
Adults in the U.S. saw a chiropractor in the last five years6
- Over 100 years of innovative leadership with a unique integrative educational model.
- Exceptional academics, research, and clinical outcomes among faculty, alumni, and students.
- Financial aid available through need and merit based scholarship, work study, and more.
- Alumni network and many affiliations facilitate job placement, networking, and continuing education.
- Three industry leading sports medicine pathways.
- Competitive residencies including Sports Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging.
- SCU Health System is highly reputable and prepares students in an interprofessional environment.
- Incomparable student experience with over 30 student clubs and organizations and a family-like environment.
Curriculum OverviewSCU’s Chiropractic curriculum is evidence-based, outcomes-focused, highly rigorous and academic. Since 1911, SCU has been a leader in innovative curricular design, incorporating lectures and laboratories in addition to a significant amount of additional means of instruction. One of LACC’s unique differentiators is our integrative approach to education and healthcare delivery. The combination of course design and clinical experience will equip you to change lives and turn your passion into a profession as a competent, caring, and practice-ready Doctor of Chiropractic.
- Leading Diagnostics: Become proficient in cutting edge diagnostic methodology and practice on par with industry leading medical schools. Excellence in diagnostics, treatment, and technique aligns our mission to educate truly patient- centered and integrative healthcare practitioners.
- Exceptional Rotations: Develop competence with a blend of rotations through a network of affiliated private practices and base clinics. Rotation partners include the Cal State, University of California, many other university health systems, and the largest free clinic in the country.
- Unrivaled Residencies Advance your career with three prestigious post-doctoral programs including Sports Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging. Our own on-campus, highly recognized SCU Health System offers both hands-on experience and residency opportunities in an inter-professional environment.
Focus on the Fundamentals. This year concentrates on the basic sciences to provide a solid foundation of understanding how the body is organized on a cellular, tissue, and organ level, along with regional interrelationships. Chiropractic technique courses start in term one and occur every term until the clinical year. Students do this in an inter-professional educational environment by being in classes with students from a variety of healthcare professions; learning about, from, and with each other.
Focus on Clinical Sciences. Several classes take advantage of the inter-professional educational opportunities at SCU, but with many chiropractic specific courses, this year builds upon year one by focusing on how basic science knowledge about structure and function relate to the clinical presentation of a patient in both health and disease.
Putting it All Together with Clinical Practice. In Year three, students put basic and clinical science knowledge to work in consulting with, diagnosis, and treating the real patients under the supervision of licensed doctors and with peers in other professions. The graduate is fully prepared to lead in today’s evolving healthcare environment.
“It is important to start with a solid platform of education around what it means to become a doctor, regardless of your field. You must have a very thorough and broad footing to build upon. That’s one of the advantages of SCU – that graduates are provided strong fundamental toolsets that accelerate and fast-track their career. SCU is an important partner to me. About 80% of the full time chiropractic employees at the USOC clinics are from SCU – and there’s a reason – because they’re very well-trained.”
Bill Moreau DC, DACBSP, CSCS, ACBSP
Vice President of Sports Medicine, United States Olympic Committee
SCU Chiropractic Faculty
Doctor of Chiropractic Student
Doctor of Chiropractic Student/Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Graduate
Watch Webinar Recordings
Program Overview with Dean Egan
How Chiropractors Help Patients
SCU Chiropractic Student Panel
LACC’s Rich History, Innovation, and Prominence at SCULACC was founded in 1911. The institution’s name was changed to Southern California University of Health Sciences as more programs have been added in recent years. The Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) program has maintained a strong emphasis among our many offerings. Many members of SCU’s administration are trained DCs including the President, Clinical Chief of Staff, our Chief Clinical Officer, and even the Director of Student Affairs. The majority of the student body is made of Chiropractic students, which speaks to this program’s distinction not only in our rich history, but in the university today.
- Educate and train doctors of chiropractic in evidence-based practice with an emphasis on neuromusculoskeletal and wellness healthcare
- Develop competent, professional and ethical doctors of chiropractic who embrace lifelong learning, provide compassionate care for their patients, and support and promote their profession
- Uniquely provide diverse educational experiences with measurable learning outcomes
- Contribute to the financial stability of the university
- Actively provide service to the university, community, and profession
- Train the most skilled graduates in the chiropractic manual arts
- Encourage and produce exemplary research and scholarly activity
*Tuition rate reflected above represents the fixed rate for a student entering during the 2018-2019 academic year. Tuition rates are subject to change and may not be reflected on this website or other SCU materials. Please contact us for the most updated information. For a complete listing of SCU fees, please refer to the academic catalog.
1. Marketwatch.com 2. salary.com (2017) searching the Los Angeles Area. Available from: http://www1.salary.com/Chiropractor-Salary.html [Accessed 23 August 2017] 3. Board of Labor Statistics 4. 2013 Careercast.com ranking 5. Business Insider (2013) The 12 Best Jobs In The Booming American Health Care Industry [Online]
Available from: http://www.businessinsider.com/best-health-care-jobs-2013-12?op=1/#6-chiropractor-7 [Accessed 23 August 2017] 6. Gallup-Palmer College of Chiropractic Annual Report: Americans’ Perceptions of Chiropractic (2016) Available from: http://www.palmer.edu/uploadedFiles/Pages/Alumni/gallup-report-palmer-college-2016.pdf [Accessed 23 August 2017]