Master of Science in Medical Science (MSMS)
Prepare Yourself for a Successful Medical CareerPRE-MEDICAL & PRE-HEALTH PATHWAY PROGRAM
SCU’s post-baccalaureate Master of Science in Medical Science (MSMS) degree (Pending WSCUC approval) is designed to assist students who would like to enhance their academic credentials for entry into medical, dental, pharmacy, or other health professional schools. In under one year, you can strengthen your academic skills, improve your Medical School Admissions Test (MCAT) scores, and gain a competitive advantage for applying or re-applying to medical school, dental school, pharmacy school, or other competitive health professional schools.
- The MSMS program is a full-time graduate program, and students are highly encouraged to refrain from full-time employment due to the rigorous format of the program.
- Students are also expected to be in class from 8 am to 3 pm, Monday to Friday, with self-directed learning time, examinations, and small group discussions interwoven among lectures.
- This program is not designed for students interested in pursuing careers in medical or academic research.
As an SCU Student, You’ll Benefit From:
- Academic success tracking and predictions: SCU measures and tracks every answer to every question from every student through iClicker, the most researched student response system on the market. The data collected daily from you and your classmates through testing, combined with the data from MSMS students at our partner institutions, is used to measure student comprehension, identify subjects where students need help, and highlight areas where students excel. This tool will allow you to identify trouble areas and will provide real-time reporting on whether you have mastered each topic and learning outcome.
- Flipped classroom design: Gain control of the learning process by watching lectures online and completing assigned reading before class, preparing you for in-class cases and collaborative group work.
- Real clinical scenarios: Spend class time working through real clinical scenarios, allowing you and your classmates to experience firsthand how your education can be applied to actual healthcare delivery.
- Assistance in transition to professional and medical schools: After graduating from the MSMS program, you can apply to professional schools with the confidence that the knowledge gained from this program will make you more competitive.
- Guaranteed medical school interview with our partner institution: SCU guarantees that the top 20% of the graduating class is offered an interview to Ponce Health Sciences University, an M.D. program in Ponce, Puerto Rico, a U.S. regionally accredited institution (admitted students are required to demonstrate competency in speaking Spanish).
- Mentoring and support: Receive faculty support and individualized professional advising in an environment that encourages intellectual and personal growth.
- In-depth preparations for taking future board and licensure exams: SCU utilizes USMLE-styled (United States Medical Licensing Examination®) questions to build upon current educational models for effective learning. This prepares you for the type of questions you’ll be asked to answer on future admissions, board, and licensure exams.
- Proven success: The curriculum is modeled after the MSMS program at Ponce Health Sciences University, an SCU partner institution, where 75% of the first graduating class received admission to medical school and 100% passed the USMLE Board exam on their first attempt.
- Ideal Los Angeles location: SCU is located in Whittier, conveniently situated between Los Angeles and Orange County. Students across the Los Angeles area find Whittier to be a commutable distance.
Confirm Your Medical School Aspirations or Identify Achievable AlternativesAlthough most students enter our master’s program with the goal of gaining admission to medical school, some graduates find other healthcare career paths more suitable. If that happens after your first year of medical school, it will be a costly experience. If that happens after completing a Master of Science in Medical Science degree, you will have a marketable master’s degree with opportunities in viable healthcare fields such as:
- Physician Assistant, Dentistry, Nursing, Podiatry, Optometry & Chiropractic
- Pharmacy School and/or Pharmaceutical Industry
Curriculum OverviewCourse Sequence (42 units)
Fall (18 units)
- Gross Anatomy, Embryology and Imaging (9)
- Physiology I (4)
- Medical Biochemistry I (5)
- Microbiology (4)
- Physiology II (4)
- Medical Biochemistry II (5)
- Neuroscience (5)
- Histology and Cell Biology (4)
- Medical Ethics (1)
- Interprofessional Perspectives in Health Disparities (1)
Getting Started with 2 Easy Steps
2.Send transcripts and submit required documents to [email protected].
*Tuition rate reflected above represents the fixed rate for a student entering during the 2020-2021 academic year. Tuition rates are subject to change and may not be reflected on this website or other SCU materials. Please contact us for the most updated information. For a complete listing of SCU fees, please refer to the academic catalog.
(Pending WSCUC approval)