Effective AOM Practitioner
Graduates will be clinically competent and effective practitioners of AOM. Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate and effectively apply the knowledge and skills in the field of acupuncture and oriental medicine.
Graduates will exhibit effective Acupuncture therapy skills. Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively identify, prescribe, and perform acupuncture therapies.
Oriental Medicine Therapies
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and analyze the characteristics and pathogenesis of syndromes through the application of Oriental Medicine theories and diagnostic methods.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify individual herbs, their therapeutic functions, prescribe herbal formulas, precautions, contradictions, and their modifications, based on AOM pattern differentiation.
Graduates will exhibit professionalism. Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate integrity and respect for all, actively engaging in ethical, moral, and legal standards of practices.
- Demonstrate the capacity for leadership. Recognize opportunity, take initiative, and manage risk in the pursuit of success.
Graduates will be able to identify, understand, and solve problems. Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to diagnose disorders based on their pathogenesis and characteristic clinical manifestations, and, when appropriate, from the results of diagnostic procedures and/or studies.
- Identify and manage attitudinal, behavioral, and socio-cultural factors that may influence outcomes.
- Demonstrate the ability to obtain and integrate appropriate historical information in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to select, perform, and interpret appropriate examination procedures in an efficient manner.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
Graduates will exhibit effective communication skills. Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver and receive communication effectively and engage patients, colleagues, and the public in a professional manner using verbal, non-verbal, and written methods.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills that result in the effective exchange of information and collaboration with patients/clients, staff, and other healthcare professionals.
Graduates will exhibit effective patient management skills. Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to incorporate health promotion and wellness into patient management based on assessment of patients' current health status and risk factors.
- Demonstrate the ability to appropriately document all aspects of history, examination, diagnosis, and patient care.
- Demonstrate appropriate recognition, safe management, and reporting of emergency conditions.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop, record, implement, and adapt a patient management plan appropriate to the needs of the patient, including co-management.
- Demonstrate an understanding of practice management to include the development of business and marketing plans.
Graduates will exhibit the ability to participate successfully in a collaborative and integrated manner in their community and the healthcare system. Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the roles of major public health agencies, reportable diseases, and concepts pertaining to community health.
- Demonstrate the ability to design a health promotion program.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Student Learning Outcomes